HTML

Sunday 6 January 2013

Disappointing products


It's always disappointing to buy a product that doesn't work for you, especially when you read in magazines and on blogs how great it seems to work for others. This was definitely the case for five items that I just haven't been able to get along with and just shows that what works well for one person won't necessarily work for another.



MUA cream blusher in Dolly - I so wanted to love this product as I'm really impressed with MUA so far and I generally prefer cream blushers over powder. This just didn't wow me at all. Application is fairly patchy and it seems to be that the cream is a drier consistency which makes applying it relatively difficult. I've tried different brushes and just using fingertips but unfortunately get the same result. I'm also wondering if the rectangular packaging doesn't help either? 

Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker - I got this lipgloss as part of the bargain Best of All set from Boots just before Christmas. The colour in the tube is beautiful but when applied? Pretty much non-existant. That I can manage, some lipglosses are like that. However this is thick, sticky and doesn't feel very pleasant on the lips, almost film-like.

Max Factor nail polish in Fantasy Fire - One product that received huge hype last year was Fantasy Fire, and in the bottle it does look impressive although this has probably been the biggest disappointment out of the lot. I cannot get a decent coverage which actually shows the true colour and sparkle unless I use around five coats. This sized bottle is not meant for five coat applications! On false nails it looks great, on natural nails this polish is a real chore.

VO5 Give Me Texture tousle spray - I like these tousle/salt sprays and have used a few different brands on my wavy hair with good results so decided to try this one (yes, I do think the pink bottle probably steered me towards it...). The instructions on the bottle said it can be used on damp or dry hair for beach waves. Sadly no beach waves were found here. Used on either dry or damp hair I was left with knotted, dry hair that looked as though it was in desperate need of a wash and deep condition. Nice!

Benefit Hello Flawless foundation powder - I started using this when it first came out about three years ago. Loved it then, it provided good coverage and gave a flawless look. Bought another one recently and am just not getting the same effect anymore. I've tried both the enclosed sponge and brush, as well as using other brushes and unfortunately don't get the same look as I did back in the day. Its a bit of a waste although is pretty useful for touch ups during the day as a setting powder.

Are any of these your favourites? Do you carry on using products you're not overly keen on or just bite the bullet and chuck them out?!







2 comments:

  1. If you have a white nail polish, you can try layering the max factor nail polish on top of it. I do that with my neon yellow essie polish that is super streaky. The white makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for that! Will give it a try before I write the nail polish off completely!

      Delete